From: Ken Tossell <ken@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscans and OS detection/uptime
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:27:28
1 Nick Van Vlaenderen wrote:
2
3 >Hi all,
4 >
5 >I was wondering how I could hide my uptime and OS for portscans. If
6 >someone scans my server (for example using Nmap), he can see what OS I am
7 >running and what the uptime of the box is. Does anyone know which firewall
8 >rule I need to prevent this? And how does Nmap collect this information?
9 >Is it related to what services there are running on the server?
12 I believe that's based on the way the machine handles connections to its
13 tcp/udp ports. Because of this, you'd need to block all ports. <shrug/>
14
15 Ken
16
17 >Regards,
18 >
19 >Nick Van Vlaenderen
20 >
21 >--
22 >The software said "Microsoft Windows 95 or better", so I tried *nix!
23 >Bow for opensource development!
24 >
25 >Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
26 >waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
27 >frist and the lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
28 >mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelms. Tihs is bcuseae we do not
29 >raed ervey lteter by itslef, but the wlohe wrod.