From: Lance Lassetter <lance@×××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] cat5e vs. cat6
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:27:24
1 On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 23:25 +0200, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
2 > Casper Gasper wrote:
3 > > My company is about to move offices, and we need to have the new building
4 > > wired up. Is it really crazy to do a new install with cat5e cabling instead
5 > > of cat6?
6 > > Any suggestions/advice appreciated.
9 > > Casper.
10 > >
11 > If the question is:
12 > can gigabit ethernet work on cat5e the answer is:
13 > *no* ... but here I've gigabit ethernet cabled with cat5e, it work
14 > faster than 100Mb ethernet and untill now no problem.
15 >
16 > Anyway why risk for a new install ? How much more does it cost cable
17 > with cat6 instead of cat5e ?
20 i thought regular cat5 couldn't work with gigabit but cat5e could.
21
22 lance(stuNNed)
25 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list