From: stephen white <steve@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Old hdd in server
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:35:10
1 On Sunday, November 9, 2003, at 02:19 AM, Michael Diederich wrote:
2 > Thanks for all your replies - /tmp is a very good idea ;-)
3
4 Nobody else said it, so I will... your Linux system can also be
5 improved by what you don't add, so I would recommend binning the
6 drives. It's not worth the effort of trying, and it's a false economy
7 to use them. On /tmp, the machine will die if the drive fails.
8
9 As this is the server mailing list, I'll also point out that adding odd
10 bits and pieces of hardware to your machines makes groups of servers
11 more difficult to manage. You should be working towards standardised
12 machines to minimise the number of hardware profiles you need to
13 maintain.
16 steve@×××××××××××××××.au
17
18 CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
20 This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
21 and contains information that may be confidential and/or
22 copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
23 notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
24 this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
25 by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
26 prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
27 any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
28 recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.