From: Linux <linux@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ldap or mysql?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:19:29
1 HI
2
3 I think it boils down to the product that you really know and is used to.
4
5 I'm for example, is working at a telco where we prefer oracle, it is expensive
6 yes, but it fullfills our needs of functionality, scalability and performance
7 as well as we (internally) know the product very good.
8
9 I think the same goes for mysql/postgresql, which product you're using is (for
10 a major company) not that interesting but the benefits/costs are.
11
12 That means does the product deliver what's needed and does their support
13 really jump to our needs and problems? That's the basic problem we got,
14 Oracle do, are not open source, and not free in terms of cost......
15
16 MySql and PostgrSQL are not free when it boils down to 24x7 support
17 either.....
18
19 It's all about business, what it's worth to you, and what you can afford...
20
21 Personally by the way, I'm using mysql..... basic stuff, really don't know the
22 cores of it
23
24 --Robert