From: stephen white <steve@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] status update
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:44:49
1 On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 03:06 AM, tigger@g.o wrote:
2 > Please come and talk on #gentoo-server if at all possible. Its much
3 > easier to discuss these things real time.
4
5 There's been a good discussion about DHCP and zeroconf. I agree that we
6 should handle multiple booting methods.
7
8 When conclusions have been reached in IRC discussions, please
9 cross-post the logs to the mailing list to ensure that everyone has a
10 chance to see how the project is developing.
11
12 Speaking of which, I'll be documenting a few ideas for how to handle
13 the overall functionality of the project. It basically boils down to
14 extending ebuild files with additional management information... eg,
15 which files to save and retrieve from CVS, and special backup
16 instructions (mainly for databases).
17
18 So the gentoo-server project would consist of several grouped ebuilds
19 for areas of functionality (eg, pxeboot, zeroconfboot) on the gold
20 server, plus extended information in various ebuild files for building
21 services on other machines. We don't necessarily have to extend portage
22 to handle the additional functionality, since ebuilds are just shell
23 scripts and can be called by anything.
26 steve@×××××××××××××××.au
27
28 CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
30 This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
31 and contains information that may be confidential and/or
32 copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
33 notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
34 this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
35 by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
36 prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
37 any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
38 recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.