From: Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Routing into private subnet
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:11:29
1 Andreas Herrmann wrote:
2 > mRyOuNg schrieb:
3 >> Andreas Herrmann wrote:
4 >>> Hi there,
5 >>>
6 >>> I want to setup a gateway / firewall solution with Gentoo. The network
7 >>> has following structure:
8 >>>
9 >>> Several host (host[1,...,x].domain.net) are defined within the DNS and
10 >>> all of them have the same A-Record with the IP 1.2.3.4
11 >>> The gateway is listening on its external network interface with the IP
12 >>> 1.2.3.4 and has an internal interface with a private subnet
13 >>> (192.168.0.0/24). The hosts (host[1,...,x].) are addressed in this
14 >>> subnet.
15 >>>
16 >>> How can it be solved, that the gateway opens a tunnel to the special
17 >>> host in the private subnet (let.s say 192.168.0.3) if there is a query
18 >>> for host3.domain.net?
19 >>>
20 >>> In my opinion this cannot be done because the client queries the DNS
21 >>> and simply opens the connection to the IP 1.2.3.4 and the gateway has
22 >>> now hints how to decide to which internal host the tunnel should be
23 >>> opened.
24 >>>
25 >>> But this setup is possible because Microsoft ISA Server exactly does
26 >>> this job!
27 >>>
28 >>> I have no idea how to solve this. First idea was a kernel bridge
29 >>> between the interfaces.
30 >>>
31 >>> Do you have any hints for me?
32 >>>
33 >>> Thanks a lot!
34 >>>
35 >>> Andreas
36 >>>
37 >> Microsoft ISA Server is a Firewall/Proxy/Reverse-Proxy ...
38 >>
39 >> So in your case, I suppose it does a reverse proxy job (not a tunneling,
40 >> just working as a web client for internal network).
41 >>
42 >> I already replaced several ISA server with GNU/Linux solutions, with the
43 >> help of Apache and his mod_proxy ... that's imho your solution.
44 >
45 > Can this also be done for SSH und IMAP stuff?
46 >
47 It might be possible with SRV records and port redirects, but that would
48 only work with Microsoft clients that understand about this stuff.
49 If you want to know exactly what happens, run a manual HTTP session from
50 the outside to the ISA server and see what headers are returned.
51 10 to 1 ISA is proxying for all web servers, and it should tell the
52 client so in the headers.
55 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list