From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] courier-imapd with a proxy/backup server ?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:05:33
1 You could do this with postfix. Setup the "MAIN" server as a postfix
2 mail gateway, and use your local server as the imap server. The
3 messages will arrive at the "MAIN" server that your MX record points to
4 (where they could be spam/virus filtered) and then would be immediately
5 passed to the local network server (where users could access them via
6 pop/imap). I don't know if this is what you are looking for as users
7 would need access to the local network to even read their mail, and you
8 would only have one persistent copy of the hosted mail (instead of the
9 office being a secondary backup), but it would help to increase speed.
10
11 --Kirk
12
13 Claudinei Matos said the following:
14 > Yeah, I saw that the problem is ocurring 'cause all the users share
15 > the same ip which one is the ip of the internet gateway.
16 > Anyway, with the new limit of connections everybody can retrieve mail
17 > but some users are annoying me about the speed to access the server.
18 > What I want is that the messages that arrive at my MAIN (the one at
19 > the hoster) server could be redirected to my proxy/backup server (the
20 > one at my local network) or if it could be, that the proxy/backup
21 > connect to the main server to catch all the accounts messages.
22 > I know I culd just use my local server as my MAIN MX but the problem
23 > is that this server is connected to internet by a adsl not confiable
24 > and with dynamic ip link. So I was thinking if I could setup this
25 > local server as my primary MX with his dyndns hostname and put the
26 > "old main" server as the backup MX, just in the case adsl link get
27 > down.
28 > I've also got a quick look at
29 > http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/?README.proxy.html and I saw that I
30 > can setup a proxy server to my users, but I don't know if that could
31 > be a solution too.
32 >
33 > Any advices would be appreciated.
34 >