From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:37:22
1 On Wednesday 16 August 2006 17:46, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
2 > Alex Efros wrote:
3 > > Yeah, your right. But there simple solution for this: update your servers
4 > > every 3-4 days, and you will be surprised how ease and quick this task
5 > > become. You'll need from a couple of seconds to 2-3 minutes in average
6 > > for such update!
7 >
8 > You have to understand that people in production environments can not do
9 > this. You can not risk a server being off line every few days.. If you
10 > have 10 severs, doing this you would 1-2 hours a week doing updates.
11 > With 100 servers, you may need a full time employee just to do updates.
12 With 100 servers some should be more or less identical giving you at least a
13 few oppertunities to save time.
14
15 Previously I used to work for a hosting provider and in my memory we had less
16 than one problem per server per year and we didn't even build packages
17 centrally.
20 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)
21 Operational Manager
22 Gentoo Linux Security Team