From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Genoo Automatistation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:55:29
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:34:26PM +0200 or thereabouts, Rene Zbinden wrote:
6 >>Does someone have other recources, tips&tricks etc...
10 >cfengine, cfengine and cfengine.
11 >
12 >http://www.cfengine.org
13 >
14 >--kurt
18 Kurt,
19
20 I have cfengine in my spot of cool-things-to-take-a-look-at, but I
21 haven't had time till now. You seem to know about it, so, I would like
22 to make a few questions, if you don't mind to answer, and have the time
23 to do it.
24
25 From my limited understanding, cfengine provides a way to centrally
26 manage hosts with common configuration, am I right? Do you have the
27 possibility of defining "classes" of hosts? I mean, let's say I have a
28 mail server, several web servers, desktop machines.... I would like to
29 have common configurations for all of them, is this possible?
30
31 Another question... let's say I have to install a lot of machines, I
32 understand that I just would install all the required packages,
33 configure cfengine, and then all the machines would automatically
34 configure themselves using my centrally stored configuration, am I
35 right? Can you automate the process of package installation, so maybe
36 you could have a "desktop profile/class", "mail server profile/class",
37 etc... that stores packages and their configurations?
38
39 Thanks in advance, best regards
40 Jose