From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] status update
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:14:06
1 On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 02:03:48PM +0930 or thereabouts, stephen white wrote:
2 > I don't understand this reasoning, as this is like saying "not all
3 > networks run zeroconf or want to run zeroconf"... DHCP is just a
4 > program, and the gold server can run whatever programs it wants. The
5 > network sits there and passes the packets.
6
7 The other thing that is important to note is that, at this point, this
8 installation script is spec'd out to have two distinct components:
9
10 * a boot component
11 * an installation component
12
13 The boot component is responsible for obtaining an IP address and
14 contacting the Gold Server for more information. That's really all it
15 does. Then, the installation component takes over and does all of the
16 heavy lifting, with most of the logic being stored server-side.
17
18 The benefit of this is that anyone can write any boot component they want.
19 Floppy boot with static IPs, PXE boot with dynamic IPs, whatever.
20
21 So we can consider writing a reference implementation that uses zeroconf
22 (which I personally like and hope we can get to work) but that does not
23 preclude us (or someone else) from writing additional methods of booting.
24
25 --kurt