From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Imaging software for a production server
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:21:30
1 I use mkcdrec to make backups of my production servers. It works well
2 for our purposes. It doesn't make an exact image, but it makes a
3 bootable iso that can be used to restore everything on the system.
4
5 Luca Dell'Oca said the following:
6 > Hi all,
7 > I have a couple of gentoo servers that I cannot shutdown for
8 > maintenance. In the past, I've used Acronis trueimage on my windows
9 > machines in order to create images of the drives, and I love the fact I
10 > do not need to shutdown the machine to create the image, and the image
11 > can be saved on the same partition I'm ghosting.
12 > I've tried several program for linux, but none of them seem to have the
13 > same features: partimage can backup live systems, but it cannot create
14 > the file on the same partition I'm ghosting and it creates different
15 > files for every partition, and all the other softwares have their own
16 > liveCD to boot from, but in this way I have to shutdown the server.
17 >
18 > Acronis has a linux version of trueimage, but it needs X to run, and I
19 > do not want to install it on a mail or web server, and gentoo is not
20 > supported, so I think it could be a PITA to install it.
21 >
22 > Any suggestion, maybe also some script able to copy also the mbr?
23 >
24 > Thanks,
25 > Luca, Italy
26 --