From: Sebastien Arnaud <sebastien@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:06:31
1 For some reason I keep having this vision in my head...
2
3 1. Quarterly updates of the tree. Gentoo Server would maintain 2
4 different server tree, one for the current quarter and one for the
5 previous quarter. That does not seem to excessive to a maintain. One
6 could specify with tree they want to use (current or delayed)
7
8 2. When using emerge, one would have the option to specify a filter
9 that would upgrade only the packages on my system that are security
10 related. Something like "emerge -u world --security-only-updates". From
11 an administrator point of view, this would be executed "often" to
12 insure that public exposed servers are patched against vulnerabilities
13 immediately.
14
15 3. Finally, the ability to archive on the local machine (or rsync local
16 server) the ebuilds. So that every-time any package is updated the
17 previous ebuild is archived (tar gzip) somewhere on the local system,
18 to allow even to revert to the previous ebuild if the upgrade happens
19 to break things.
20 The opportunity to archive the complete tree and ebuilds on the local
21 machine prior to the quarterly updates would be nice too...
22
23 Hope this rather simplistic approach helps the discusssion.
26 Regards,
27
28 Sébastien