From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Web hosting for 75k+ users
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:34:16
1 Jens Gutzeit wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:04, Gerhard Just Olsen wrote:
4 >>Should I use qmail or postfix and why?
5 >
6 > I would suggest postfix, not because of some benchmarks, there are just too
7 > many that say different things, but in my opinion postfix is just a more
8 > modern mail server, with qmail you might run into trouble with a lot of
9 > bounces, because qmail doesn't reject during smtp conversation.
12 Another option is dbmail (http://www.dbmail.org/). Instead of storing
13 mail is a mailbox or maildir, mail is stored in a MySQL or PostgreSQL
14 database. The system works pretty well and is designed for this kind of
15 large userbase.
18 >>What about antispam and antivirus? Any suggestions/experiences?
21 > We use amavisd-new here, together with spamassassin. We just
22 > reject .com, .exe, etc... so we realy don't need an AV, if this isn't an
23 > option to you, you might want to look at clamav, or if money issn't such a
24 > big problem the products of centralcommand, they work pretty well, and the
25 > support is really good.
28 We use amavisd-new with SpamAssassin, Razor, and ClamAV.
29
30 >>I have some experience using squirrel web mail. Any suggestions here?
33 > No, squirrelmail is good, I suggest to use turck-mmcache or s.th. like that to
34 > speed up PHP.
37 Squirrel is a great app. If you go with dbmail there is also a native
38 web app that can access the maildb directly rather than going through IMAP.
39
40 >>I plan to use the wiki to document the apps that I use. It should be the
41 >>natural place for something like that.
44 > same here. But it's an internal wiki :-(
47 Wiki's rock for documentation. We use a customized PhpWiki.
48
49 jbw