From: Martin Hajduch <martin.hajduch@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SCSI Software RAID and LVM
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:34:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 hi,
5
6 |Well, using a Raid 1 in that instance probably isn't the best
7 solution. Raid
8 |1 arrays are really best used in a critical server to keep the system
9 online
10 |until a tech can schedule maintenece.
11
12 what do you mean by say that 'raid 1 arrays are really best ...' ?
13 'best' ? why ?
14
15 | Soo many things can happen to a raid 1
16 |that it is not a good solution for data backup. If a file is deleted,
17 |corrupted, etc it is just mirrored to both drives. There is no
18 rotation, or
19 |history.
20
21 i haven't ever considered this to be a data backup
22 the really important things like mailbox or sources i'm working on,
23 have regular tape backups, etc ..
24 the reason why i have raid 1 on my workstation is, that if a drive
25 crashes, i still want to be able
26 to work, while waiting for the drive replacement to arrive
27 additional 160gb drive cost me less then 80 eur and if it saves me 4
28 hours of time which i wouldn't
29 be able to work without having raid 1, it was a good investment
30
31 the fact that everything is 'just' mirrored to both drives is exactly
32 the reason why i'm using it
33 no matter how good your backup strategy is, if we are talking about a
34 workstation you are using
35 10 hours a day, you will always loose something
36 i won't, unless both drives crash at the same time
37
38 |Unfortunatly, its a lesson not commonly learned until it is too late
39 :( Raid
40 |is not a replacement for backups. It does help is a lot of
41 instances, it is
42 |not a bad idea, but it is flawed.
45 as i've said, i don't think it is a replacement for backups
46 i just take it as a quite good protection against loosing couple of
47 hours just because of a disk failure;
48 and if i am talking about couple of working hours, it is a replacement
49 which pays for itself, given the current
50 prices for ide drives
51
52 |and create snapshots of the system configs and user files. On my
53 main server
54 |for my business, I dump the database and rsync every 30 minutes, and
55 rotate
58 on our e-commerce server, i replicate production database every 10
59 minutes to another server and have tape backup
60 every night
61 but this is completely different topic
62
63 it is all about the cost of you backup strategy (now you can also
64 include hardware backups, etc ...) vs. outage costs
65 i was talking about a workstation, where you can invest up to 100 eurs
66 to almost eliminate a risk of a drive failure
67
68 |backup. The question of the day is how active is your data, and how
69 far back
70 |can you recover from. If losing a hour of work can kill you, then you
71 |probably back up more often. Most people are fairly safe daily. On my
72 |database, 30 minutes could be upseting, hence why it is so anally
73 backed up.
74
75 in my case, loosing of 30 minutes on the db server could upset
76 customers who haven't downloaded results yet, but would
77 definitely upset us because of inability of charging our customers for
78 these 30 minutes
79 that's why we do db sync every 10 minutes and think of getting raid 1
80 there as well; but in this case it is much pricey option
81 because of scsi prices
82
83 loosing of an hour of work can't usually kill you, but loosing 3-4
84 hours of work may be more expansive then additional 160gb drive
85 for raid1 on a workstation
86
87 |risk involved, then that is your choice. Just remember when you
88 recommend
89 |solutions to someone that may not be familure with the pro's and
90 con's that
91 |you let them know. Nothing is worst than a user that feels they are
92 backed
93 |up only to realize after the fact that important file is lost forever.
96 if you recall the beginning of this thread, it was not a question
97 about recommended backup strategy, it was a question
98 about installing lvm over raid on scsi drives
99
100 if i ask the question, i expect to get an answer to the question
101 asked, not a recommendation why should i do things differently
102
103 if i ask a wrong question, it is my fault and i should know better
104
105 but of course, this is just my point of view
106
107 best regards,
108 martin
109