From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>, Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>, "Gentoo-server@l.g.o" <Gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Active Directory Based Authentication?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 13:19:17
1 On May 11, 2012 9:30 PM, "Brian Kroth" <bpkroth@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> 2012-05-11 10:36:
4 >
5 >> Hello list,
6 >>
7 >> I just want to know, what is your recommendation(s) to implement Active
8 >> Directory authentication on Gentoo?
11 > Attribute data can be stored/retrieved in ldaps (as in AD usually only
12 allows authenticated binds to retrieve data and it requires an ssl
13 connection to do that, other than that it's really just ldap).
14 >
15 > Authentication can be done either via ldaps or kerberos, though I
16 personally find the later to be extra complication that's usually
17 unnecessary.
18 >
19 > As someone else mentioned, there's a wealth of data out there on how to
20 do this in any number of schemes (eg: libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, sssd, etc.).
23 >> I want to use AD not only for logins, but also for running
24 >> daemons/services.
27 > I don't see the distinction. Either way it seems you're concerned with
28 authenticating users and doing attribute lookups on them.
31 >> *Ideally*, it would also allow me to manage my boxen using GPO, but I
32 can
33 >> live without that.
36 > I'm not personally aware of anything that does that. If there is, it's
37 probably something like redhat/suse specific.
38 >
39 > However, I believe it is possible to use a samba4 host as a domain
40 controller to serve GPs to windows clients.
43 PowerBroker (née Likewise) claims that it can manage Linux boxen via GPO...
44
45 ... but in my case I think I'll just force my subordinates to learn puppet
46 *heh*heh*
47
48 Rgds,