From: "Andreas Prieß" <ap@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Tracking bandwidth usage
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:34:24
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On our side, we would like to look at bandwidth usage of each site over a
3 > period of time to determine which ones are heavy with traffic and to look
4 > at the long-term trends. Eventually, it would be nice to manage bandwidth
5 > and track total usage for billing purposes.
6
7 When it comes to network accounting the following may be of interest -
8 there was a presentation at the linuxtag open source conference:
9
10 http://www.linuxtag.org/typo3site/freecongress-details.html?&talkid=131
11
12 Network accounting was demonstrated based on the ip_conntrack module in
13 the kernel. Some new enhancements of ip_conntrack solve some problems
14 you have with accounting in userspace with single ip_tables rules for
15 each IP-Address or similar userspace solutions. You don't have the
16 overhead of transfering huge amounts of data to userspace or getting
17 endless rulesets as you have with previous approaches.
18
19 Sorry, I did not use it myself and I don't know a link to further
20 information, but searching for ip_conntrack may give some hints.
23 Andreas