From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] deployment server over NFS, feedback
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:30:46
1 Greetz,
2
3 I've seen the progress being made on a gentoo deployment project, very
4 excited to see that developing.
5
6 We're looking at deploying Gentoo on ~40 or so servers right now. We've
7 thrown together the idea of a master build server where all packages
8 will be built, and then NFS-mounting /usr/portage on the other boxen.
9 We have a range of hardware from Pentium3 to Pentium4, some 2x CPU, most
10 one CPU though. All common packages such as apache2, mysql, php/mod_php,
11 and the like would be built there first and then distributed to the
12 servers as needed (they would emerge the tbz2s from thier nfs-mount
13 /usr/portage/packages/All directory). Since we are using -mcpu pentium3
14 in the make.conf, our binaries should be portable across p3 and p4
15 platforms, correct? Updates would be handled locally with an emerge
16 world, which would rebuild the local server environment still using the
17 shared /usr/portage directory. Any holes in these methods?
18
19 For initial deployment, the idea is to configure the master server at
20 first as we want it and then find a way to build a stage3 tarball from
21 it's filesystem. Looking at the info on the Catalyst project though, it
22 looks like building stage tarballs for different architectures has to be
23 handled more carefully. We may try to create an installation CD that
24 uses a properly prepared stage tarball to bootstrap the system and have
25 a base installation that is common, neccesary parts. Standard
26 configuration files would be stored in a configuration directory of
27 /usr/portage/configs (e.g.) and a standard kernel config also available
28 there. There was an idea to classify and enforce common config files and
29 the like using cfengine (comments on this?)
30
31 We'd also like to figure out the best way to enable a central
32 authentication system during this rollout and for future installations
33 also. Currently we have MS Active Directory available but may be open to
34 using NIS or PAM/Winbind or LDAP to an external directory. Any advice on
35 this?
36
37 TIA for any comments/inputs.
38