From: Thomas Harold <tgh@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:10:38
1 Christian Affolter wrote:
2 > If you're interested in gentoo (or any other OS/distribution) on
3 > production server and you're going to manage more than 5-10 machines,
4 > then you should think about building an "infrastructure" [5]. An
5 > important part of your infrastructure, especially on a gentoo based one,
6 > would be a build server or "gold server" which builds and provides
7 > packages for your different end servers. Also consider to use a
8 > versioning system at least for your config files.
9
10 (Late to the party, as usual...)
11
12 Yep, getting your /etc and other configuration files into a version
13 control system will keep you from tearing your hair out. Or wonder what
14 you had to change to make "XYZ" work properly. I find that keeping the
15 entire system in version control is too difficult to be worth it and
16 focus my efforts on VC'ing any file that I've edited (or would be likely
17 to edit). Takes about 15-30 minutes to get started (depending on how
18 familiar you are with Subversion or whatever VC system you use), but
19 easily saves you 30 minutes down the road.
20
21 Combine that with daily/weekly snapshots using hard links to another
22 disk on the system (or a remote disk) and you've got something really
23 easy to deal with. Remote backups are nice and secure, but sometimes
24 it's nice to have a quick-n-dirty browseable local partition with
25 snapshots of the O/S files.
26
27 ...
28
29 Those two abilities are the primary reason that we're moving servers
30 over to Linux. It makes system administration and undoing minor "oops"
31 issues extremely easy. (The secondary reason is that we're moving to a
32 Xen-based infrastructure with SAN-based storage to gain machine
33 independence. No more idle users while we fix the machine that runs
34 their software.)
35 --
36 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list