From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 01:36:10
1 On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 16:06 -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
2 > Wendall Cada wrote:
3 > > I very much agree with his assessment here. This is what I do for binary
4 > > distribution to desktop systems. It is very effective. I have played
5 > > with Catalyst quite a bit, but agree that catalyst-2 is much more well
6 > > suited for this.
7 >
8 > I'm sorry; which "this" are you referring to? I'm a little unclear on
9 > whether what you're indicating that you use is Ramon's suggestion (of
10 > using catalyst-2) or our senior sysadmin's suggestion (of using emerge,
11 > set to output binary packages and target a chroot).
12
13 I use (of using emerge, set to output binary packages and target a
14 chroot) right now, as Ramon's senior sysadmin recommends. But am looking
15 into using catalyst-2 in the future.
16
17 Wendall
18 >
19 > Thank you!
22 Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
23 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
24 -- Linus Torvalds