From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Pure-initramfs boot
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 00:49:12
1 Hi all,
2
3 I got the crazy idea to boot my servers purely from netboot with their root
4 filesystems being initramfs archives coming from tftp on pxeboot.
5
6 Is this reasonable? I tried just passing a cpio of my desired root partition
7 as the initrd option, but it ended up using my hdd as root, I think because
8 my initramfs didn't have a file at /init. Everyone else seems to just use
9 their initramfs in order to boot something else, like nfs, but I've got
10 plenty of RAM and don't really want to introduce the additional complexity
11 and latency of NFS.
12
13 Anyone done anything like that?
14