From: Wes Kurdziolek <xunil@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Pam, Kerberos, SASL, LDAP... which one to use?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:40:06
1 Kerberos only provides an authentication mechanism, not UNIX user and
2 group services ie. UIDs, GIDs, home directories, etc. LDAP can provide
3 both. If you were to use Kerberos, you'd have to still maintain your
4 LDAP + SSL setup so that UNIX user and group services continue to work.
5
6 Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
9 > Hi there,
10 >
11 > I'm about to create a central directory service for users in my
12 > company, I've been reading a lot and right now I think I have a real
13 > acronym soup headache. My main requirement is to be able to have a
14 > central repository of users, so if I want to create a new user, I only
15 > do it in just a place. Creating a new user means giving that user
16 > rights to use several services (login, mail, proxy,...), so I don't
17 > have to create a user in /etc/passwd, then create a user in the mail
18 > server, ... Other requirements include the possibility of using the
19 > user information as an address book (this is easy as long as the
20 > information is stored in LDAP).
21 >
22 > Right now I'm using the following (only login and mail tested):
23 >
24 > * PAM + LDAP. Users may login once I have created an entry for that
25 > user in the LDAP directory.
26 > * Postfix + SSL + SASL + saslauthd/ldap. Users outside my local
27 > network are able to send mails to the world once they have
28 > authenticated. Postfix also uses the information stored in LDAP to
29 > accept incoming mail.
30 > * Courier-IMAP + SSL + LDAP authentication. Users are able to access
31 > their IMAP mailboxes after they have authenticated using the
32 > information stored in the LDAP server. I'm thinking about
33 > migrating this to Cyrus IMAP + SSL + SASL + saslauthd/ldap to
34 > mimic the postfix setup.
35 >
36 > I then found information about kerberos, so I don't know if I
37 > should go that way, or stay with this setup (this is the time to
38 > experiment, once this is put into production I won't have the
39 > possibility to change it easily). Are there any advantages of using
40 > kerberos over using just SSL + LDAP? In case I use kerberos, would I
41 > have duplicate information in the kerberos database and in LDAP? May I
42 > use LDAP as a backend for the kerberos password database? I don't know
43 > that much about kerberos, so forgive me if I'm making any stupid
44 > question.
45 >
46 > Thanks in advance, regards
47 > Jose