From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SSH, updates and serial port switches
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:45:27
1 Sébastien Arnaud wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have started to "pour" more Gentoo Linux based server in a datacenter
5 > over the past year, I lost control 3 times of remote servers. One of
6 > them was after a hard reboot and filesystem check which required to
7 > press a key on the physical machine, and the two remaining ones were
8 > linked to SSH terminating the connection after running some updates.
9 > So, I wanted to get some advice on how you all handle keeping control of
10 > your remote Gentoo servers, and for instance how to keep SSH running at
11 > all costs.
12 >
13 > I have seen in different FAQs that running a serial cable to each server
14 > and using a SSH serial console switch is a good idea, but I am having
15 > trouble finding something cheap in this arena. Also, how much better is
16 > it in terms of reliability in case something goes really wrong with the
17 > server? FYI, all the servers are plugged into a remote APC reboot switch
18 > but I almost never use this, as many times it ends up invalidating the
19 > filesystem and therefore requiring a physical intervention at the
20 > keyboard. Anyway around this problem as well?
21 >
22 > Thank you in advance.
23
24 Usually, you run into SSH problems when you update some of its dependencies like
25 glibc or openssl. I've found that if I run 'emerge -u <SSH dependency> &&
26 /etc/init.d/sshd restart', it takes care of any problems. You don't have to
27 string together the commands like that, though. You just need to restart SSH
28 before you terminate your current session. Just to doublecheck, try to start a
29 2nd SSH session to that particular server before you kill the one you are using.
30 If you can create a 2nd session, everything is okay :)
31
32 It sounds like you need to switch to a better filesystem. I use ext3 on my
33 personal machines and the production server that I run and *never* have any of
34 them gotten stuck at boot waiting for a keypress for fsck (or whatever), even
35 after multiple power failures (before I got a UPS) and lockups (from me doing
36 stupid things). If you are using ext2 or some other non-journalled filesystem,
37 that is likely to happen after any power loss or system lockup.
40 Andrew Gaffney
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 Installer Project