From: Alexander Zimmerling <Alexander.Zimmerling@××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Mount Samba shares as home
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:55:59
1 Can you give me some more details?
2 Is this a file where all smbusers and their passwords are stored?
3
4 If yes: this is not an option!
5
6 thank you so far
7
8 Alex
11 Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 17:44 +0200 schrieb robert anstuther:
12 > Hi, is it not just down to having a smbusers file for mapping linux to
13 > windows user names?
19 > > Hi guys,
20 > >
21 > > I've got a nice problem here.
22 > >
23 > > My situation:
24 > >
25 > > I have different clients, windows and linux and a gentoo-samba-pdc.
26 > >
27 > > As you might know, windows domains are supporting a 'homeshare' which
28 > > are mounted (mapped) to a specific driveletter (here m:)
29 > >
30 > > The windows boxes are domain members. The linux boxes aren't.
31 > > Some of the users need to login to windows and linux clients. The
32 > > linux-usernames are unfortunately not equal with the domain-usernames.
33 > >
34 > > The generel problem is to provide the logged in linux user the
35 > > corresponding (domain-user) homeshare.
36 > >
37 > > Postings in the forums pointed me to pam_mount.
38 > >
39 > > I'll give you an example:
40 > >
41 > > Colleague Bob Example.
42 > >
43 > > Has a domain-user-login, bob.example. He can login on all windows
44 > > workstations without any trouble, the share is mapped to m: etc.
45 > >
46 > > He has a linux username, also. Just "bob".
47 > >
48 > > Bob is an unprivileged user and using this command ends in an error:
49 > >
50 > >>>
51 > > mount.cifs //server/bob.example /home/bob -o user=bob.example
52 > > <<
53 > >
54 > > error returned:
55 > >>>
56 > > mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
57 > > Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
58 > > <<
61 > > As I said the guys in the forum told me to look for pam_mount.
62 > > I installed this module, set it up in /etc/pam.d/system-auth and
63 > > configured the /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml
64 > >
65 > > added this line:
66 > >
67 > >>>
68 > > <volume user="bob" fstype="cifs" server="server" path="bob.example"
69 > > options="user=bob.example">
70 > > <<
71 > >
72 > > I saw, that pam_mount uses $(user) to identify the user, and pass this
73 > > to mount.cifs. I've deleted this part and added
74 > > options="user=bob.example".
75 > >
76 > > Well this is where I'm stucked now.
77 > >
78 > > The main problem is that the username on the old linux boxes differing
79 > > from the domain user names.
80 > >
81 > > Do you have any ideas or a better documentation for pam_mount? or had
82 > > sth similar?
83 > >
84 > > Kind Regards
85 > >