From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o, nick.vanvlaenderen@×××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscans and OS detection/uptime
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:36:30
1 On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:59:30PM +0200 or thereabouts, Nick Van Vlaenderen wrote:
2 > I was wondering how I could hide my uptime and OS for portscans. If
3 > someone scans my server (for example using Nmap), he can see what OS I am
4 > running and what the uptime of the box is. Does anyone know which firewall
5 > rule I need to prevent this? And how does Nmap collect this information?
6 > Is it related to what services there are running on the server?
7
8 The nmap freak patch will prevent accurate OS fingerprinting:
9
10 http://packetstormsecurity.nl/UNIX/patches/nmap-freak-patch
11
12 it's also part of wolk-sources in portage.
13
14 As for uptime measurements, that relies on the TCP timestamp option. IIRC,
15 there's an option in grsecurity to disable or munge that. grsec is also
16 part of wolk-sources and is available as a separate patch here:
17
18 http://www.grsecurity.net/
19
20 I believe grsec also has facilities to confuse OS fingerprinting attempts
21 as well.
22
23 --kurt