From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Root exploit in virtually all 2.4 kernels ... fixed
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:42:28
1 Hello,
2
3 a GLSA is in the works, but I decided that this ought to be posted in
4 any case, for the benefit of the list :)
5
6 Just about every set of 2.4 based kernel sources that was in Portage up
7 until very recently was discovered to be vulnerable to a nasty root
8 exploit described here:
9 http://isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0012-do_brk.txt
10
11 Note that WOLK-4.10-pre7 is the only kernel that was not affected. If
12 you have been using any other 2.4 kernel that it is strongly recommended
13 that you emerge sync, then re-emerge the sources in question
14 immediately. You do _not_ need to bump the version to be safe. If you
15 are not using Portage to manage your sources then apply the following
16 patch:
17
18 --- a/mm/mmap.c Fri Sep 12 06:44:06 2003
19 +++ b/mm/mmap.c Thu Oct 2 01:18:19 2003
20 @@ -1041,6 +1041,9 @@
21 if (!len)
22 return addr;
23
24 + if ((addr + len) > TASK_SIZE || (addr + len) < addr)
25 + return -EINVAL;
26 +
27 /*
28 * mlock MCL_FUTURE?
29 */
30
31 This patch is the one that has been applied to every single sources
32 ebuild in Portage, aside from wolk-sources-4.10-pre7. In actual fact,
33 Marc-Christian Peterson seems to have put in much saner checks in mmap.c
34 from the wolk-sources (for some time now :-p), so I will probably come
35 up with an alternate patch myself based on his mmap code, and post it
36 here.
37
38 Regards,
39