From: Luca Dell'Oca <lock@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Imaging software for a production server
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:01:10
1 Matthias Bethke wrote:
2 > Don't do that. It will appear to work but usually introduces subtle
3 > inconsistencies in the FS structure that fsck may or may not catch,
4 > especially when there's constant FS activity like on a mail server. This
5 > is only safe for partitions that are mounted read-only.
6 > I haven't done anything like this, and I'd think it's not really
7 > necessary when you have several machines available anyway (each usually
8 > with several partitions, unlike Windows where that's a necessary
9 > feature) but I'd suggest dump(1). dump can exclude inodes, so something
10 > like
11 >
12 > touch dumpfile
13 > dump -f- -e$(ls -i dumpfile | sed 's/ [[:alpha:]]\+//') /some/mount/point
14 >
15 > should do roughly what you want. If you use EXT[23] FS that is...
16
17 Uhm, no, I'm using ReiserFS, it's the same xyntax? Or maybe dump does
18 not work with reiser file system?
19
20 Regards, Luca.
21 --