From: Justin Krejci <jus@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portage syncing
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:38:08
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 04:08 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:54:40PM -0600 or thereabouts, Justin Krejci
3 wrote:
4 > > I have written a quick little script to help prevent a server from
5 > > syncing its portage tree more than once per 24 hours. Syncing more
6 > > frequently is more likely to happen on a server with multiple admins, so
7 > > instead of keeping track of when anyone syncs the tree we now just use
8 > > this little script. We use esearch instead of calling emerge directly but
9 > > the script can be adjusted very easily.
10 > >
11 > > If anyone has come up with a better way to do this, I'd love to see it.
12 >
13 > Um...why not just cron it and never worry about it again? If there are
14 > specific security updates, you can run a manual sync on an exception basis.
15 > If you have multiple admins trying to patch the same security hole on the
16 > same box, you have bigger problems anyway.
17 >
18 > --kurt
19
20 I chose not to cron it because I don't see much benefit in syncing that often
21 and wasting resoruces; I realize syncing is not a massive ordeal but the sync
22 mirrors do request syncing less than once a day in general and I'd like to
23 respect that when under normal circumstances. Sometimes my portage tree might
24 not get synced for weeks (or more) at a time. If I am looking for a specific
25 update I like to sync on the spot. There is not an issue of multiple people
26 patching a security hole, we all maintain our own things and will
27 occasionally sync the tree to look for updates or new software in general.
28 Plus it lets anyone else know the portage tree is up to date and they don't
29 need to waste their time waiting for it to sync.
30
31 I am not trying to overcome some issue with portage or administration, just a
32 little casual script to make a small task a tad bit simpler.
33 --
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list