From: "pkoelle@×××××.com" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ldap + tls issues
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:15:24
1 Chris Frederick schrieb:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm working on migrating a network to allow for more users and easier
5 > scaling. I'm also splitting up the main server into separate tasks. As
6 > long as I'm doing all this I thought it would be prudent to add an LDAP
7 > server for authentication/email/etc... I'm running gentoo-hardened on
8 > the ldap server and I have been following the gentoo ldap guides here:
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml
11 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_LDAPv3
12 >
13 > This got me a decent setup, and everything works good, but now I'm
14 > trying to secure it using TLS and I can't seem to get it working. I've
15 > followed both guides, searched google, and still come up with nothing.
16 > I've verified the CN is correct, I've copied the cert from the server to
17 > the test client, and I've verified that the certs are ok using openssl.
18 >
19 > running 'ldapsearch -H ldap://valid-cn -D "cn=Manager,dc=secret,dc=com"
20 > -W' lists everything that I've imported, but adding the -Z to the
21 > command exits with this:
22 >
23 > ldap_start_tls: Connect error (-11)
24 > additional info: error:14090086:SSL
25 > routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
26 Turn up debugging, there should be a more specific error somewhere like
27 "unknown CA" or "self signed cert" (slapd doesn't like self signed certs").
30 > I'm using the same common name for the ldap:// protocol as was entered
31 > in the cert. Here's the relevant config sections:
32 >
33 > /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (server only)
34 > TLSCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:+SSLv2
35 > TLSCertificateFile /etc/ssl/ldap.pem
36 > TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/ldap-key.pem
37 > TLS_REQCERT allow
38 I don't see TLSCACertificateFile pointing to your CA.
41 > Also, I've been looking for a decent guide to help with installation and
42 > maintenance for LDAP and I'm coming up dead. I've even checked the
43 > libraries and bookstores, and apart from a 2-8 page reference in a few
44 > general administrative books, I've found nothing. Can anyone recommend
45 > a good book/site on how to maintain/administer/install LDAP?
46 Not really. Remember, LDAP is just a protocol and management of
47 implementations differ. Personally I haven't found much 10.000 feet kind
48 of docs which makes thinks hard as you'll see the big picture way too
49 late (after lots of painful errors due to misconceptions). Once you know
50 Ldap+Sasl+ssl+kerberos and how all this might (not) work together it's
51 just reading Changelogs and manpages to keep you up to date with your
52 implementation.
53
54 I've spent
55 > over a week on this and it's still not operational and I'm starting to
56 > pull my hair out.
57 You're welcome ;)
58
59 cheers