From: Mike Myers <mike@××××.us>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mail archive
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:55:41
1 On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:42:10 -0500, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 9/29/05, Mike Myers <mike@××××.us> wrote:
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I have a qmail server configured, for the most part similar to the docs
8 >> on
9 >> the gentoo site. I was wondering though if there was a way to archive
10 >> all
11 >> the email messages. I saw a tool to do that on the inter7 site, but it
12 >> said it was a patch to allow archiving. i'm not too sure how to patch
13 >> some code when it's in portage, and i don't really want to reinstall
14 >> qmail
15 >
16 > Create a portage overlay (for example, at /usr/local/portage) and copy
17 > the existing mail-mta/qmail structure into it. Drop your patch in at
18 > mail-mta/qmail/files then add a statement to patch it in within the
19 > src_unpack() function of the ebuild:
20 >
21 > epatch ${FILESDIR}/foo.patch
22 >
23 > You'll see many such examples in the ebuild as it is. Alternatively
24 > you could `ebuild unpack` the ebuild in the main portage tree, patch
25 > the source in the working directory manually before concluding with an
26 > `ebuild qmerge" statement (a less desirable approach in my view). For
27 > further details this wiki entry may help:
28 >
29 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
30 >
31 > With regards to the first approach you'll need to make sure that you
32 > revise your customised ebuild if there are any future qmail revision
33 > bumps otherwise your overlay copy will be superceded by the upgrade in
34 > the mainline portage tree.
35 >
36 > Another possibility is to file a bug referencing the patch, add the
37 > keyword "Inclusion" and assign to robbat2@g.o asking for this
38 > patch to be included.
39 >
40 > Regards,
41 >
42 > --Kerin
45 Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, neither suggestion worked. It seems
46 to me like the qmail-tap patch conflicts with the other numerous patches
47 that qmail needs, so it's unable to find the parts of file it needs to
48 patch. I've filed a bug report, but it was closed and marked 'invalid',
49 and considered a 'help request'. So, no dice there. I posted the issue
50 in the forums, so now there are two threads concerning the qmail-tap
51 patch, but neither have replies. I'm not really certain where to go next.
52
53 Thanks,
54 Mike
55 --