From: "Covington
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] compaq raid "cpqarray" not detected; trying to install 1.4
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:32:12
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm a big newbie and all that. Just trying to install 1.4 on an old SMP
4 Compaq Proliant 1600 (dual Pentium II 450, 36GB RAID 1 w/SmartArray 221
5 controller).
6
7 Apparently the SmartArray controller isn't detected upon boot; just the
8 IDE controller for the CDROM and the NCR scsi controller for the tape
9 drive. I hear that cpqarray drivers are built-in to all 2.4 kernels
10 (Red Hat detects this, FWIW, and the array is referred to as
11 /dev/ida/c0d0).
12
13 The install manual just mentions the possibility of using modprobe for
14 undetected devices, but I've tried modprobe cpqarray and then with fdisk
15 /dev/ida/c0d0 the error message is "Unable to open /dev/ida/c0d0".
16 Could someone please enlighten me? Hopefully down the road I will
17 replace Red Hat 9 on all of our servers with Gentoo once I test it out
18 on this warhorse.
19
20 thanks
21 Chris