From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Special characters in the console
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:23:56
1 Hi Paulo,
2 on Friday, 2006-08-04 at 18:21:04, you wrote:
3 > Hello. I'm having trouble with special characters like cedilla (ç) and
4 > others like ã and õ. I have a Gentoo server here that runs a custom
5 > enterprise software based in ncurses and slang. I'm from Brazil and these
6 > characters are common in this country.
7 >
8 > How can I enable these characters without using unicode? Yes... because of
9 > some misterious reason I can't use unicode.
10
11 You'll have to provide a little more detail, and maybe ask again on the
12 gentoo-user list, as this doesn't sound all that server specific.
13 Are you running this application on a text console or an X-based
14 terminal? Do accented characters work on the same machine in other apps?
15 Is the application prepared to process them or is it some legacy thing
16 that has problems with anything exceeding 7-bit ASCII? And wht kind of
17 problems anyway---are the characters displayed incorrectly or simply
18 swallowed?
19
20 cheers!
21 Matthias
22
23 BTW, funny email address! Sta. Catarina? :)
24 --
25 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
26 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665