From: Maik Musall <lists@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] minimize service downtime during package updates
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:32:16
1 Hello,
2
3 I find it difficult to minimize service downtime for things like apache
4 when the package is to be updated. If I stop the service before
5 emerging, downtime is longer than necessary since during the compile
6 stage it could stay running. On the other hand, when I don't stop the
7 service before emerge exchanges the binaries, things can become unstable
8 (initscripts reporting service running but it isn't, or vice versa,
9 segfaulting running binaries...).
10
11 Ideal would be an emerge option that asks back for confirmation just
12 before exchanging files. But that doesn't seem to exist.
13
14 How do you handle this problem?
15
16 Thanks
17 --
18 Maik Musall <maik@××××××.de>
19 GPG public key 0x856861EB (keyserver: wwwkeys.de.pgp.net)
20 --
21 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list