From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] /usr/src/linux
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:54:22
2 > I'm trying to get to the bottom of where the /usr/src/linux symlink
3 > should
4 > point to. All the gentoo instructions say it should be to the sources for
5 > the current kernel, and I've read on the gentoo forums that certain
6 > modules
7 > won't work correctly without that. However, the kernel README
8 > specifically
9 > states that the symlink should point to the headers your libraries link
10 > against, not the current kernel. Should I (strictly speaking) emerge
11 > glibc
12 > after I install a new kernel?
13
14 No. The kernel headers are rather sensibly maintained by the linux-headers
15 (or linux26-headers) packages in portage, hence packages that are
16 sensitive to the kernel headers, such as glibc, will not be overly
17 concerned with what your "kernel du jour" happens to be.
18
19 Two exceptions I can think of to that statement are:
20
21 1) Building NPTL in glibc (that part alone seems to make use of the
22 headers provided by the kernel at /usr/src/linux, at least it did last
23 time I checked)
24 2) Building kernel modules outside of the tree (nvidia-kernel for instance)
25
26 Therefore, the docs are quite right. Keep /usr/src/linux as a symlink
27 pointing to the sources for your currently running kernel as a general
28 rule. You won't need to update glibc on account of building a new kernel,
29 however I would suggest you rebuild glibc if sys-kernel/linux-headers is
30 upgraded at any point :)
31
32 The latest stable versions of either package at the time of writing is:
33
34 * sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21-r1
35 * sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1
36
37 _Never_ build glibc against headers that are newer than a kernel that you
38 intend to build and run (an unlikely event in any case). If you never use
39 2.4, then it is safe to migrate to linux26-headers and rebuild glibc
40 assuming the aforementioned caveat is born in mind.
41
42 Cheers,
43
44 --Kerin Francis Millar