From: Mike Crawford <mikecrfd@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] proftpd problem
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:34:03
1 Nick Van Vlaenderen wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > I used emerge to install proftpd 1.2.9. In /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf,
6 > I set user and group to proftpd, so when I start the FTP server, it
7 > should start as user and group proftpd (yes, they are created). But
8 > when I start proftpd, it just runs as root... I searched the manual
9 > page for possible switches that could force the server to start as a
10 > particular user and group, but there aren't any...
11 >
12 > Can anyone give me some sort of explination on this?
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15 >
16 > Nick
17
18 Are you attempting ti run proftpd as a standalone daemon or from xinetd
19 / inetd? i believe there's something in proftpd's available config
20 variables that can set uid:guid... xinetd is far superior security wise
21 for running proftpd and much nicer on resources. Something to consider.
22 Here's a sample proftpd.conf that works with xinetd that i had
23 previously posted to gentoo forums.
24
25 ServerType inetd
26 DefaultServer on
27 ServerIdent on "Jedi-Pimp Ftpd"
28 AuthPAM on
29 AuthPAMConfig ftp
30 # Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
31 Port 21
32
33 # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
34 # from being group and world writable.
37 # To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
38 # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
39 # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
40 # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
41 # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
42 # (such as xinetd).
43 MaxInstances 30
44
45 # Set the user and group under which the server will run.
46 User proftpd
47 Group proftpd
48
49 # Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
50 <Directory />
51 AllowOverwrite on
52 </Directory>
53
54 <Global>
55 AllowRetrieveRestart on
56 AllowStoreRestart on
57 DefaultRoot ~
58 UseFtpUsers on
59 LoginPasswordPrompt on
60 AllowOverwrite on
61 AllowForeignAddress on
62 DeferWelcome on
63 TimeoutStalled 10
65 TimeoutLogin 20
66 RequireValidShell off
67 RootLogin off
68 AccessDenyMsg BuRp
69 AccessGrantMsg w00t
70 DenyFilter \*.*/
71 PassivePorts 3000 3100
72 </Global>
73
74 You must also setup /etc/xinetd.conf and remove the config var stating
75 only from = localhost then edit /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd changing "disable=
76 yes" to "disable =no" restart xinetd to affect the changes.lastly ensure
77 that proftpd is *not* in the startup runlevels or it will create an
78 annoying problem.
79
80 Regards,
81 Mike Crawford
82 President,
83 EliteitMinds Technologies
84 Official Gentoo Linux Mirror Provider
85 http://gentoo.eliteitminds.com