From: Jonas Fietz <info@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: baselayout was Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:22:23
1 Hi
2
3 > are a pain. I had to reboot a system that hadn't been booted in
4 > about a year and the modules didn't load because of the changes to
5 > modules.autoload. I've had to clean up Apache conf files 'cause they
6 > moved. I've had to deal with moving to the new "modular" xorg (and
7 > try to hunt down all the X tools I used to have). Not to mention
8 > the baselayout changes...
9 Well, Xorg was an upstream decision, the config-files for apache where
10 simply wrong before, so that had to be fixed, and about the changes in
11 modules.autoload, i am not so sure.
12 But to the people needing a stable portage tree: It is really a totally
13 different ideology which is somewhat diametral to what gentoo does.
14 Gentoo does _not_ have real releases, which some people, me included,
15 think is a good thing. Also, i think if the security-fixes are just
16 backported, I personally believe that unless there are many people
17 helping with the effort there will be more bugs introduced by this, as
18 most of the time the codes might not know the code base as well.
19 Also, you are complaining about the long list of updates when doing a -u
20 somewhat. Those are _real_ dependencies, even if they were just imagined
21 by some hallucinating gentoo dev ;). So normally there would not be a
22 way around installing them.
23 But on an infrastructure as big as some are talking about here, there
24 usually are few types of servers, so that it can be tested anyway. And
25 maybe, those types of companies should be more willing to spend a few
26 bucks to the gentoo project, maybe about the new "adopt a gentoo-dev"-page.
27
28 Ok, ranted enough ;)
29
30 Jonas Fietz