From: Sven Wegener <Sven.Wegener@×××××××.net>
To: wyrm@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Disabling screen blanking
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 08:14:14
1 Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Since you certainly seem to know what you're talking about, I have a
3 > couple of silly follow-up questions on the topic.
4 >
5 > Would '>/dev/tty' (controlling terminal) work also, or would that end up
6 > just going to the pty anyway? I'm fairly certain that the latter case
7 > would be correct; I just want a second opinion. :-)
8
9 /dev/tty refers to the current tty device, the controlling terminal.
10 Independent if this a virtual console (vc = e.g. /dev/tty1 or /dev/vc/1)
11 or pseudoterminal (pty = e.g. /dev/pts/11 allocated by sshd). Writing to
12 /dev/tty and writing to the vc/pty will have the same result. So you're
13 right, the latter case is correct.
14
15 > What I'm not sure about, is whether /dev/console would work. I might try
16 > this out later, but what do you think?
17
18 /dev/console refers to the system console. It groups the virtual
19 consoles /dev/tty* together and allows you to switch between them. In
20 former times it was a symlink to one of /dev/tty*, but since Linux
21 2.1.71 it is controlled by the kernel. /dev/tty0 refers to the current
22 virtual console. Output send to /dev/tty* will be displayed through
23 /dev/console, so redirecting setterm's stdout to /dev/console should
24 have (almost) always the same result as redirecting stdout to /dev/tty*.
25 So /dev/console should work also.
26
27 Sven