From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] server profile
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:50:07
1 Evan Klitzke wrote:
2 > On 6/7/06, David CHANIAL <david.ml@××××××××.fr> wrote:
3 >> in my head, i think server == dedicated server
4 >> in fact i really think that after gentoo install (by img or livecd) no
5 >> keyboard, no mouse, no screen. just sshd and ssh connection.
6 >
7 > Not having a keyboard/screen could be very bad.
8 Sure.
9
10 > There are a lot of
11 > things that could break that would lock you out of the system. If you
12 > forget the root password, you can't boot into single user mode and fix
13 > it. If sshd breaks you can't fix things. If you break networking, or
14 > new firewall settings prevent you from logging in with ssh, you can't
15 > easily fix it. Keyboard and screen drivers don't take up a lot of
16 > space, and they are well worth it when things go wrong.\
17 So you keep all your servers under your pillow right? It is very common
18 to have servers colocated a few hundred km/miles/whatever away. In such
19 a situation you start looking at upgrades with very different feelings.
20 Especially if it comes to changes in the boot process, udev et. al.
21
22 cheers
23 Paul
24
25 BTW: To make this post slightly more on topic I request the inclusion of
26 "sasl" useflag in the server profile. That said, the current useflags
27 seem to be very php inspired/specific. Is there a bug for discussion of
28 possible useful defaults?
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list