From: Gunnar Mann <g.mann@×××.eu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] what is the best filesystem for a server
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:30:30
1 Assuming you speak about linux servers:
2 Ext3 is not the bleeding edge in speed when handling a lot of small
3 files (rather take xfs here) but fast for normal data structures, is
4 rock solid and it's journaling feature works great. I never had any
5 file system crash for years now, even when cold-hearted unplugging power
6 cords from test servers.
7
8 Moreover, the successor Ext4 shall overcome the mentioned speed issue
9 and has some more new features. Ext3 partitions can be used with Ext4
10 software.
11
12 NTFS enjoys full read and write access from linux systems via ntfs-3g.
13 Nevertheless, I would recommend using a native linux file system which
14 is fully integrated (for example "acl" and "xattr" capabilities which
15 are implemented in a completely different way in NTFS)
16
17 Gunnar
18
19 Tomasz Lutelmowski wrote:
20 > NTFS is the best one but unfortunately not fully supported by linux :/
21 >
22 > On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:11:17 +0530, widyachacra wrote
23 >> what is the best filesystem for a server
24 >>
25 >> --
26 >> ---
27 >> PS: This is my private email address.
28 >>
29 >> Budu saranay! Sadaham Phitay! Sangha Rekawaranay! {Theruwan Saranay!}
30 >>
31 >> - Widyachacra Rajapaksha -
32 >> --
33 >> gentoo-server@l.g.o mailing list