From: Mark Farmer <farmerma@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Ask some suggestion for log analysis?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:47:51
1 Wang Penghui wrote:
2 > Hi list:
3 >
4 > I am a new admistratar of a gentoo server box. But i have less
5 > knowledges about the log analysis. Could someone has experiences on it
6 > give me some suggestion to choose a software to suit my requirement. Or
7 > pick up some acticle to read first.
8 > My server has DB server(MySQL), Mail
9 > Server(Postfix+Cyrus-IMAPd+OpenLDAP) and WebServer(Apache+Mod_SSL).
10 >
11 > Each response is appreciated.
12 >
13 > Wang Penghui
17 I use logwatch (emerge logwatch) which if configured correctly will email you nightly with log
18 reports.
19 The main config file is /etc/log.d/conf/logwatch.conf
20 I set an aditional MailTo = to my email address & set Detail = High
21
22 It runs via /etc/cron.daily
23
24 IIRC the install should create the cron.daily entry for you, if not make a sym link in
25 /etc/cron.daily like this:
26 00-logwatch -> /usr/sbin/logwatch.pl
27
28 It runs at 4am every day.