From: Marton Gabor <gabor.marton@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Imaging software for a production server
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:42:04
1 Hi!
2
3 Maybe you could use 'dd if=/dev/hdx of=/path/to/destination/file' or
4 something similar though you have to choose another partition for the image.
5
6 Marton Gabor
7 <gabor.marton@××××××××××.hu>,<ICQ UIN: 169394884>,<T: +36 30 447-2042>
8 VE-MIK
9 VeHoK informatikai megbizott
10 informatika-l adminisztrator
11 bsc-info szerkeszto
12 gazdinfo szerkeszto
16 Luca Dell'Oca wrote:
17
18 > Hi all,
19 > I have a couple of gentoo servers that I cannot shutdown for
20 > maintenance. In the past, I've used Acronis trueimage on my windows
21 > machines in order to create images of the drives, and I love the fact
22 > I do not need to shutdown the machine to create the image, and the
23 > image can be saved on the same partition I'm ghosting.
24 > I've tried several program for linux, but none of them seem to have
25 > the same features: partimage can backup live systems, but it cannot
26 > create the file on the same partition I'm ghosting and it creates
27 > different files for every partition, and all the other softwares have
28 > their own liveCD to boot from, but in this way I have to shutdown the
29 > server.
30 >
31 > Acronis has a linux version of trueimage, but it needs X to run, and I
32 > do not want to install it on a mail or web server, and gentoo is not
33 > supported, so I think it could be a PITA to install it.
34 >
35 > Any suggestion, maybe also some script able to copy also the mbr?
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Luca, Italy
42 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list