From: Karl Zander <gentoolist@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Testing and Installing New Kernel Remotely
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:54:28
1 >>>On Monday 09 February 2004 01:35 am, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 >>>
3 >>>>Is there a way to do this with GRUB?
4 >>>
5 >>>I'm not sure if Gentoo has this hack patched on or not, but Redhat's
6 >>>grub lets you go into the grub shell and type:
7 >>>
8 >>>savedefault --default=# --once
9 >>>For the same effect.
10 >>
11 >>Does anyone know if Gentoo's grub supports this?
14 I did discover the "fallback" option for GRUB.
15 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/fallback.html
16
17 I don't think its exactly the same behavior as the above behavior. Maybe
18 someone can offer more insight. My brief testing showed that if I had a
19 typo in the grub.conf file where I pointed to the new kernel, fallback
20 would fall back to another choice. Not sure how it would respond to kernel
21 that failed because I compiled it with bad options.
22
23 -Karl