From: Martin Hajduch <martin.hajduch@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:36:08
1 hi !
2
3 >They could either a) wait for the next update in X months or b) put it in
4 >an overlay
7 well, overlay is usually the only way for custom ebuilds which are not
8 in the portage tree
9 but i want to believe that for server/cluster management there is (will
10 be) a better way of doing this
11
12 >>in my humble opinion, it would be better (for my purposes) to have more
13 >>'user friendly' way of configuring which packages and under which
14 >>circumstances i want to update (or get a notification about an important
15 >>update) when i do emerge -u world
18 >Can you elaborate on how you see this working? Not sure I understand.
19 >Again, try to focus on requirements instead of implementation.
23 ....
24
25 >OK, but you can do this today with the features already in portage. You
26 >can create your own custom profiles and nail specific versions of packages
27 >while still allowing others to track against the tree. What additional
28 >requirements do you have that aren't currently offered?
31 hm, first of all, when i was reading man page for portage, i was warned
32 that i should not edit anything except make.conf
33
34 i try to describe how i would like to use portage for my servers
35 i imagine that there is a slowly moving tree/profile/somethingelse which
36 i use as a base for my installation
37 then, there will be a file/directory where i define '/etc/make.profile/*
38 overlay';
39 i should be able to specify (for example) that i want to use latest
40 openssl 0.9.7; latest tinc package which is available
41 i may also need to nail a package to one specific version for whichever
42 reason
43
44 these settings should be in a private files so that i don't need to
45 handle merging of my changes with 'official' updates to these files
46
47 as for the creation of custom profile -> my main idea is that there will
48 be 'server tree/profile/etc ...' but easily customizable WITHOUT
49 changing some portage files (but adding custom ones, something like
50 portage overlay)
51 in the fact, i don't want to specify version of every package .. i just
52 want to tweak some solid/stable installation to server my needs
53
54 one of the important thing is dependency handling; let's imagine that
55 there is a package in the server tree which works well with openssl 0.9.6
56 but higher version is required to work with openssl 0.9.7 (this is just
57 an example !)
58 when i explicitly say that i want to use 0.9.7; i'd expect that portage
59 installs higher version of the other package, even if lower version
60 is in the server tree (with warnings, but automatically)
61
62 i would also appreciate if the packages with security vulnerabilities
63 would be somehow visible during emerge -up -> so that if my current
64 'constraints' on package versions are blocking an update which
65 compromises my security, i can immediately see it
66
67 well, these are just some ideas ... it may be that it can be all
68 achieved with the current portage; i just haven't find all the answers
69 in the documentation and man pages ...
70
71 one more remark to quarterly updates
72 i would personally prefer slowly moving tree with constant updates then
73 'a big one' every three months
74 i think that it is more manageable for servers which need to run 24/7;
75 basically this is the reason why i like gentoo; that it protects me from
76 'big updates' which are always a pain (imho)
77
78 regards,
79 martin