From: Sascha Horender <gentoo@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscans and OS detection/uptime
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:16:18
1 Hi,
2
3 echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
4
5 Works for me.
6
7 Regards,
8 Sascha
9
10 > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
11 > Von: Nick Van Vlaenderen [mailto:nick.vanvlaenderen@×××××××.be]
12 > Gesendet: Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2003 13:00
13 > An: gentoo-server@g.o
14 > Betreff: [gentoo-server] portscans and OS detection/uptime
17 > Hi all,
18 >
19 > I was wondering how I could hide my uptime and OS for portscans. If
20 > someone scans my server (for example using Nmap), he can see
21 > what OS I am
22 > running and what the uptime of the box is. Does anyone know
23 > which firewall
24 > rule I need to prevent this? And how does Nmap collect this
25 > information?
26 > Is it related to what services there are running on the server?
27 >
28 > Regards,
29 >
30 > Nick Van Vlaenderen