From: Radu-Mihail Obada <radu@××××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] XFS problem with 1) quota and 2) kernel 2.6
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 12:58:42
1 Hello everybody,
2 This is my first post to this list (although I've been carefully reading
3 the messages posted here day by day), so please be gentle :)
4 I'm a happy admin of a Gentoo Linux box, which has been running
5 oh-so-perfectly so far.
6 My filesystem of choice is XFS (mainly because it supporst POSIX
7 Extended Attributes / ACLs). I also like the quota support in XFS,
8 because it needs no quota checking, but recently, I've been having so
9 problems with it. Mainly, a user which has no quota entry (so it has no
10 quota enforcement), is given permission denied when trying to create a
11 fifo (that happens on /var, which is a separate partition), the problem
12 being noticed with screen, which tries to create a fifo on
13 /var/screen/S-radu (yup, *my* user). If I mount the partition without
14 quota / usrquota, everything works so fine. I've tried edquota -u radu,
15 explicitly setting the quota to 0, but that didn't help. So I'm open to
16 suggestions.
17 As with problem number 2), I've tried to upgrade to mm-sources, but upon
18 reboot, I'm spitted a "Kernel panic: Unable to mount root filesystem",
19 and just below that, "XFS: SB validate failed". Same happens with
20 development-sources.
21 Just for the record, I'm currently running 2.4.25_pre7-gss-r2.
22 Any ideas?
23 Thanks in advance

radu.vcf text/x-vcard