From: Jeremy Kitchen <kitchen@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] courier-imapd en maildir
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:59:57
1 On Wednesday 23 June 2004 10:22 am, Dan Noe wrote:
2 > > > Even for local users, if you are running courier-imap, it's nice to
3 > > > have local accounts connect to the IMAP server rather than the .maildir
4 > > > or mailbox files, because this greatly reduces the probability of
5 > > > locking related hastles.
6 > > >
7 > > > I used to use mutt directly on a server that had courier-imap running,
8 > > > and when Mozilla Thunderbird on my other workstation machine recieved
9 > > > mail it reorganized based on filters, causing mutt to freak out that
10 > > > the mailbox was being modified externally. Using mutt in imap mode
11 > > > made it much more tolerant.
12 > >
13 > > doesn't this just duplicate all of your emails though? doesn't mutt
14 > > download the messages and store them locally somewhere? I'm prety sure
15 > > kmail and evolution and any other imap client do :)
16 >
17 > POP stores messages locally. IMAP has the capability to store all messages
18 > on the server, and most clients do this. This is one of the biggest
19 > advantages of IMAP.
20
21 yes, I know.. I use imap for all of my email. most imap clients, however,
22 keep a cache of the emails/headers they have downloaded from the server. I
23 would not be surprised if mutt also did this.
24
25 > Myself, I use mutt locally on my server and I also use Evolution at work
26 > and occaisionally MozillaThunderbird at home when I need to muck around
27 > with lots of attachments. I store all my mail, send and received, in a
28 > single, searchable mailbox.
29
30 yes, I as well. Being able to be anywhere and access my entire mailbox is
31 extremely handy :)
32
33 -Jeremy
36 Jeremy Kitchen ++ Systems Administrator ++ Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.
37 jeremy@××××××.com ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 847.492.0470 int'l
38 kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail