From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] integrate windows domainb users into linux
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:55:20
1 Rene Zbinden wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > does anybody now how I modify my gentoo linux system in order users from
5 > a windows domain can login. do I have to create a samba server or is
6 > there a sort of a client?
7 >
8 > any suggestions welcome.
9 Hi Rene,
10
11 I suppose those users would like to use their existing credentials to
12 login to your linux box. If you have ADS and need login only pam_krb5
13 and pam_ldap (or just pam_ldap) might be a good start. For a NT4 style
14 domain, samba is required.
15
16 The big picture here is: for AD you get a ticket from the AD KDC (that
17 is authorization) and your ID data from AD LDAP with pam_ldap. With NT4
18 domains winbindd from samba does it all in one place, you basically join
19 the domain and there is a pam module pam_winbind that makes domain users
20 available to PAM aware applications.
21
22 cheers
23 Paul