From: Wes Kurdziolek <xunil@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] For a 1.5TB server running Samba and NFS ONLY, what's the best kernel?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:45:03
1 I've seen some benchmarking that suggests XFS is excellent wrt large
2 files. Reiserfs3 really shines when it comes to lots of little files in
3 lots of directories, but it can hold its own w/ lots of big files.
4
5 David Wuertele wrote:
6 > I'm rebuilding my terabyte file server from scratch. Previously I
7 > used "emerge gs-sources" to get my kernel, but I'm considering using
8 > the performance-tuned "emerge gentoo-sources" this time.
9 >
10 > I want maximum performance and reliability in these areas:
11 >
12 > on-board Via IDE controller
13 > multiple SIIG ATA-133 PCI IDE controllers
14 > 7-drive RAID5 array
15 > 1.5TB Reiserfs partition
16 > Average file size about 50MB, largest files will commonly exceed 2GB
17 > Samba file sharing
18 > NFS file sharing
19 >
20 > All other areas are of little or no consequence.
21 > Any recommendations?
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Dave