From: Nigel Marsh <nigel.marsh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup software
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:15:35
1 On Friday 22 Oct 2004 15:15, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
2 > Nigel Marsh wrote:
3 > >Jose,
4 > >
5 > >[...]
6 > >As to reverting to a given date. The short answer (unusual for me ;)) is
7 > > No... The longer answer is, according the developments on the mailing
8 > > list it will do soon.
9 >
10 > Well, I had that feeling. The final question: let's say that
11 > somebody deletes a bunch of files that shouldn't be deleted. You told
12 > that the backup system informs of changes every hour or so, so I assume
13 > those files will also be deleted on the backed up system, am I wrong? If
14 > this is the case, and you notice the problem a few hours later, is there
15 > any way to recover those files? That's why I was asking about recovering
16 > the state for a given date/time.
17
18 No, they will be kept on the backup server and be marked as having been
19 deleted on the client. When the allocated space is filled up on the backup
20 server then the oldest deleted files will be deleted from the server first.
21 So the time a deleted file remains on the server is down to allocated drive
22 space and is analogous to tape. When you run out of tape space, you either
23 add more storage or you start rotating backup media.
24
25 Also old versions of files are kept so that you can jump back say 3 weeks to
26 an old version of a file.
27
28 If you needed to know more about the internals of it then the mailing list,
29 which is a low volume with the odd flurry of activity, would be your best
30 bet. Questions are generally answered pretty quickly.
33 > >On the server side, you have no access to this data. You need to keep a
34 > > client key safe to rebuild a totally dead client so that it can restore
35 > > and start again where you left off.
38 > >Sorry, got carried away and probably went way over what was needed to
39 > > answer your question. Must be this new coffee I'm drinking. ;)
40 >
41 > Not at all. Your answer has been very informative, and will help me
42 > a lot in making my mind in my final decission about backup software.
43 > Thanks a lot for your kindly response... and tell us about that new
44 > coffee, I think it may help us on overnight system failures ;o)
45
46 I don't know, it is in a silver unnamed bag and I got 10kg cheap from a car
47 boot sale. :)
48
49 It's very good though.
52 > >Nige