From: dormando <dormando@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 02:03:04
1 I wouldn't really say that. Right now Gentoo is the "out of date" one,
2 given that it's significantly more difficult to install MySQL 4.1 over
3 4.0 under it. Via the debian method (which isn't perfect!) I can just as
4 easily install 4.0 or 4.1, and it'll complain at me if I run a downgrade
5 from 4.1 to 4.0.
6
7 The point is more that 4.0 should be the default, and 4.1 should be just
8 as easy to install if you want to. As time moves on more and more
9 applications will become 4.1 or even 5.0 compliant, and it won't be as
10 much of an issue to drop 4.0 once it's unmaintained. Right now it seems
11 that folks are trying to force it the other way around; pull the system
12 up to working with 4.1 so it can become the default, rather than
13 allowing those who can progress to do so more easily in the meantime.
14
15 4.1 is rather old at this point, and 5.0 is (possibly) just a few months
16 away. It might be worth looking at.
17
18 -Dormando
21 > It's a good observation, but a little bit apples and oranges. Debian is
22 > *always* going to err on the side of being far out of date if it means
23 > that there is more stability to gain. Not true for Gentoo. ;)
24 >
25 > DS
26 --
27 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list