From: Mark Rudholm <rudholm@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] grub ebuild
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:34:38
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Mark Rudholm wrote:
3 >
4 >> Jeremy Brake wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Is it just my imagination, or does bind keep upgrading and downgrading
7 >>> in portage? its getting irritating.
10 > This a "bug" in portage that has been known about for a long time.
11 > Fixing it would take at least a partial rewrite of the dep resolver.
12 > Basically, there is a newer version of some package that was installed
13 > as a dependency, but another package DEPENDs on a version of the first
14 > package less than the newest. Portage doesn't know not to upgrade that
15 > 2nd package, even though an older version is required by some other
16 > package.
17 >
18 >> I wasn't very amused with the breaking of Apache conf files, either.
19 >> That's poor package mainatenanceship.
22 > The apache config files weren't *broken*. They were fixed. They are now
23 > a whole heck of a lot closer to the way a vanilla apache setup has them.
24 > There was talk of that happening over a year before it happened. There
25 > was a warning that went out to a few mailing lists a week before the new
26 > apache went stable.
27
28 I realize this, of course. It was "broken" to begin with.
29 Either way, my point stands.
30
31 >> I was installing Gentoo on a new desktop system they gave me at work
32 >> last night and was surprised to find that Stage 1 and Stage 2 installs
33 >> are
34 >> no longer supported and that users are instructed not to do them.
37 > The reason they are no longer *officially* supported is because many
38 > users would not read the documentation, do things wrong, and file bugs.
39 > This happened a *lot*. The stage 1 and 2 install instructions were
40 > removed from the handbook to cut down on the flood of invalid bugs.
41 >
42 > There is nothing stopping you from doing a stage 1 or 2 install. Just
43 > don't expect help if it breaks.
44
45 I think I can handle it.
46 --